For our April 25th meeting the Maynard Historical Society will present the history of Emerson Hospital, which celebrates its 100th anniversary this year. Our guest speaker is Kenton Blagbrough.
The hospital was founded in 1911 when Charles Emerson (a nephew of Ralph Waldo Emerson) donated $20,000 and a site along the Sudbury River in Concord for a 14-bed cottage hospital. Formerly known as Deaconess Hospital, in 1924 the hospital was deeded to the community and renamed in honor of Charles Emerson. Today Emerson Hospital is a 179-bed acute care medical center providing advanced medical services to over 300,000 individuals in 25 towns.
Kenton Blagbrough is an employee and volunteer at Emerson Hospital. He holds masters degrees in History and Information Studies. He recently researched a property history which is included on the National Register for Historic Places, and the two hundred year status of an old New Hampshire road used in a civil proceeding.
Mr. Blagbrough, under the direction of the Medical Library and Office of Development, is researching the history of Emerson Hospital to prepare a written account for the hospital’s centennial in November 2011.
The Maynard Historical Society meets in the lower level of Maynard Town Hall, 195 Main Street. The meeting starts at 7pm and are open to the public. A social hour with Light refreshments follows the meeting. There is no charge for the meeting.